M.S. Coursework Only Option

The Master of Science degree may be completed without the preparation of a formal research thesis or report. Instead, a student may be permitted to enroll in a no thesis/no report (coursework only) program which involves additional course work (30 hours of organized course work versus 24-27 hours for the thesis or report program). Most graduate students, especially students holding University Fellowships, traineeships or research assistantships, are encouraged to complete a thesis.

For the master’s degree under the no thesis/no report option, your program must include at least twenty-seven hours of graduate coursework. At most three hours of upper division undergraduate coursework may be counted toward the degree. Some areas may require registration in a seminar, even if it cannot be counted toward the graduate school degree requirements.

During the first semester of your MS program you should select a supervising professor. By the end of the first semester you and your supervising professor should develop a program of work.

Early in the semester you plan to graduate you should read about graduation guidelines and deadlines on the Graduate School website. Included in this material is a list of deadlines you must meet during the semester in order to graduate. The following constitutes the usual procedure for preparing to graduate:

Submit a hard copy of your MS Program of Work (POW) form (available on the CAEE website or from the graduate coordinator) to the graduate coordinator prior to filling out the Master’s Graduation Application Form online.The actual time frame for submission is set by the Graduate School. After you have submitted your online graduation application, your electronic POW will automatically be sent to your Graduate Coordinator and Advisor forapproval. Your electronic POW will then be submitted to the Graduate School to be made a part of your permanent record.  Students will be required to have a GPA of at least 3.0 for courses included on the POW.

If, after filing for graduation, you find that you will not complete the degree requirements that semester, you should notify the Graduate School and the Graduate Coordinator. A new Master’s Graduation Application Form must be submitted at the beginning of the next semester you hope to graduate.

Printable pdf