Photo of measurement equipment

EWRE students can pursue the Master of Science (M.S.) degree or the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree. These programs have separate degree requirements.

M.S. Degree

The M.S. degree can be designated in EWRE or Civil Engineering; the degree requirements are identical and it is the student's choice which degree to seek. Students who do not have an undergraduate degree in engineering must pursue the Civil Engineering degree so that they can be eligible for professional licensure after graduation.

Ph.D. Degree

The Ph.D. degree is primarily a research degree; students with a high degree of intellectual curiosity who hope to create new knowledge in the field, as well as have a deeper understanding of the existing knowledge of the field, are encouraged to pursue the Ph.D.

Background Preparation

Students without an undergraduate degree in engineering can be admitted to the graduate program but must satisfy additional coursework requirements. This list of additional requirements is designed to ensure that graduates know fundamental engineering principles and can be registered as professional engineers.


Admissions decisions are made on the basis of many factors, including GPA, test performance (e.g., GRE, TOEFL), letters of recommendation, and research and/or work experience.

Ocean Engineering is a specialty within EWRE.  Interested applicants will select the Ocean Engineering option on the application.

Financial Support

Limited financial support is available in the forms of Graduate Research Assistantships, Teaching Assistantships, and Fellowships.


Students often take courses both within and outside of EWRE to develop strong fundamental problem solving skills and specialization in one or more areas of EWRE.